Friday, August 31, 2012

Ashley Lindemann -The Prince


Ashley Lindemann

One of the main points that Machiavelli makes in The Prince is that it is better for a prince to be feared than loved. According to Machiavelli, a prince that is loved does not have a secure leadership. Even though a loved prince may have a strong relationship with his people if his subjects benefit from betraying him they will do so unless they have consequences to fear. Love is an internal feeling and these feelings can easily come and go. Fear, on the other hand, is a more reliable leadership tactic because no one wants to be harmed. Machiavelli believes that being feared is required in order for a prince to be successful because this is the only way that his people will remain loyal to him.
Personally, I think that respect is more important than both love and fear.  When an authority figure who I love tells me what to do I obey out of respect rather than fear. For example, I highly respect my parents. When they direct me or tell me what to do I listen to them because I value their opinions and respect the decisions they make. If I do disobey them I always feel guilty because I know that I let them down. When my parents punish me, my feelings of respect for them are the reason I do not rebel further. This is why I think that respect is a good mix between fear and love. You may not love your leader, but you respect them enough to obey their decisions, and you may not fear your leader, but you respect and consequently you do not want to rebel against their rule.
I believe the reason that the United States has been successful in keeping a generally peaceful, united country is because the citizens respect it. The United States has remained one of the top countries in the world without using fearful types of government. I think it is interesting that even though many people disagree with the president’s opinions and decisions citizens of the United States choose not to leave the country because they know that America has one of the most respected government systems. US citizens must follow the laws set by the government, but they are allowed to state their own opinions about whether they agree or disagree with them. In many other countries this would result in punishment or even harm.  


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    I agree with your choice of fear as a leadership tactic. I too believe it to be more reliable and stable than love. However, I disagree with your personal opinion that respect is more important than love and fear. I find your example of your parents a bit weak, but that may just be due to the different parental relationships we have. My mother used fear to teach good habits and behavior from a young age. It's the same in society, there are always consequences to our actions and we obey the higher power due to fear of those consequences. I believe a prince must first either be loved or feared before they can be respected. If a prince's people would benefit from betraying him, but do not fear the consequences of their actions, they will do so in spite of their respect for him. A prince that is respected and feared can punish his people at the first sign of rebellion and maintain his rule.

    I also do not agree with the opinion that we respect our government. Many people are upset with many aspects of government, but they know that this country is safe and secure unlike many others. We have seen what our country is capable of throughout the years and I believe we are afraid and so we obey. Many countries live in fear of things other than their government, but living in fear of government is a stable way to live if that government is generally good to its people.

    Ultimately, I agree with Machiavelli and his idea of fear as the best way to rule.

    ReplyDelete