Friday, October 26, 2012

This or that?



In class on Tuesday, we discussed Marx’s concept of estranged labor. He believes capitalism is bad due to the fact that the class struggle between the owners of production and the workers leads to alienated labor. This means that the workers work for the owners to earn a wage which they then use to survive. This is in contrast to Marx’s communist society in which everyone works and produces, no one is subject to wages, and you take what you need to survive. Under capitalism, our relationship to the material external world which is required for production becomes an estranged and broken one. The workers relationship to their work and fellow workers is broken as well as to themselves. Supposedly, capitalism even destroys our sense of what it means to be human which Marx calls species-being.
Conceptually, capitalism appears to be a heavily flawed system while communism appears perfect. However, I believe each system has its own strengths and weaknesses. Realistically, countries become stagnant under communism. Without the presence of competition, innovation falls by the wayside. Without innovation, countries fall behind. The more important issue though is the morality of both systems. The main flaw of capitalism is that the proletariat is exploited and driven down to a mere subsistence level. Workers are treated as commodities versus being considered human beings. Private property becomes more important than the humans that produce it. Personally, I find this concept hard to believe. Obviously no one values any of their possessions more than a human life. However, coming from a family that has provided for me throughout my life, I do not think I’ll ever really be able to understand this concept. Do we all really value our possessions more than a human life? I hope this is not the case, but then again I am not the one to say.
It is hard to say which system is the better one. From a sort of macro point-of-view, you could say countries thrive under capitalism due to the competition of it. But it is the lack of competition that gives communism the edge. Humans are treated as such and everyone works and produces. I’ve been raised under capitalism so it is all I know. The way I look at it is the struggle to survive is innate and, therefore, we should live under a system which appeals to that. In a way, capitalism keeps us sharp and hungry while communism leads to passivity and laziness. It’s similar to an animal that is domestically raised. That animal was provided for and, if released into the wild, will not survive. In the end, capitalism may be the “darker” of the two, but I still believe it to be superior.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the opinion that capitalism is better than communism. I may also have a bias because, as you said, this is all I know from first hand experience. The thing I like most about capitalism is the competition and the idea that we could advance to a better life. I think this pushes people to strive to be better and get better than what they already have. To me this will not happen in a communist country because there is no competition. Since you take what you need and nothing more you won't strive to do any extra. Well for me. I could just be a loafer.

    The advancement to a better life is also why lots of people from other countries come to America. I'm also not saying that capitalism is the greatest thing ever with no faults because that is not true. I do believe that the poorer get more and more numerous because of the increased competition. Especially now because of the economy and the US having fewer jobs. But like I said we have a chance to advance. We just have to be competitive enough to do so. Some people do have a better chance to to get ahead than others though. This could depend on several factors such as where you are from and the situation you were born into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best way too view this discussion between communism and capitalism is to view them from a historical point of view. During the Cold War, there was an intense struggle both ideologically, economically, and militarily. Eventually the United States won the Cold War and the Soviet Union fell apart due to civil unrest and economic stagnation. Also in addition to the evidence provided by the Cold War, since the rise of capitalism has created the strongest period of innovation in human history. This can only prove that capitalism is simply the most productive and efficient for the world to proceed. Although yes there is still poverty, capitalism creates an opportunity for almost anyone with the willingness to be able to provide for themselves and obtain a higher standard of living.

    ReplyDelete