Friday, November 9, 2012

Faster Than The Speed Of Light



Last class we spoke about the effects of the ability to freely transfer information on the world as we know it. During the information age, technological advances lead to innovations that allowed individuals to have access to information at any time. Eventually, devices were developed that allowed us to access any information we want at any time. Suddenly, everyday tasks that were once difficult became extremely simple. People could contact each other at any time, find the exact location of their destination, and entertain themselves at any moment. This ease of access has made mankind reliant on their technology. For instance, when one’s cell phone dies, things become a lot harder to accomplish. Our discussion was focused on this information accessibility and if it has benefited mankind more than it has hurt us. With this “hyper-visibility,” the world has become very “small.” At the same time, everyone became completely exposed, but also anonymous. Online “personas” developed that had to be tended to. Also, the economy began to change much more rapidly once the stock market was made readily available to anyone at any time. Society became characteristically impatient due to the speed of information.
In my opinion, the information age and the ability to access information has benefited us more than it has hurt us. The world has become a very innovative and competitive place. With the ability to know anything, I think it is expected that humans in general should be more intelligent and knowledgeable. It is true that technology has led to a lot of negative things. People are taken advantage of and social interactions have become a lot less personal. These problems, however, existed in their own way well before technology as we know it came to be. Major issues can be resolved much faster with the use of technology. Even things like small donations to third-world countries have led to improved living conditions and a lot of lives saved. Natural disasters can be predicted and people can be warned before they even happen. Also, recovery efforts are much more efficient and many more lives are saved. I believe one of the worst drawbacks of this information has to be the rapidly changing economy. With the ability to check stocks at any time, people can ruin the economy. This rapid economy is a serious issue today and has been a major topic during the election. However, despite the problems that come with immediate information, I believe the positives far outweigh the negatives. Overall, I believe the information age and all its developments have created a much better world.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your point of view. I think that the internet has benefited us more than it has hurt us. I think that technology is essential and the development of the internet has allowed the world to progress a lot faster and accomplish more. The negative side of the internet is that a lot of corruption happens through it and also people can have false identities. Additionally, people can have access to other peoples information. I think that technology does definitely allow people to move at a much faster pace. this is the "Now" generation. People want to do everything right at the moment. The internet is the way to do so whereas in the old days people read more newspapers, which are kind of a thing of the past even though people still read them. The information age has definitely transformed the world and how people communicate and learn things. I think that it has definitely made the world smaller also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not believe that we necessarily live in a better or worse world than the old days, but merely different. The internet has its very obvious ups and downs, but to say whether or not the goods outweigh the bads is rather difficult since we have never lived without it; and likewise those who lived before the internet cannot properly understand how life operates today. While human happiness may not have developed from the creation of the internet, at least we have proceeded in our explorations and as a community are continuing to understand how our universe operates. Internet and social networking may be either good or bad, but that is beside the point. Now that these extensions of human reasoning have been created, how and why should we question there existence as opposed to questioning their functionalities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your argument. I feel that the internet and technology has helped us more than hurt. While we may not know exactly how it would be without these things because we are always indirectly being affected by technology and internet we could have an idea. I feel as though I cannot function throughout the day without my laptop or my phone. It just doesn't feel right. If we were living before the information age it would obviously be easier because I wouldn't be used to using these items. But now that I have used it on an everyday basis I have, sadly, become dependent on technology. I feel as though this is a down side. But the good does outweigh the bad. We have grown as a nation due to these technology and our lives have been made a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with your argument about the internet. Although laziness and impatience are negative side effects to the speed at which we are able to receive information today, i agree that the positives outweigh the negatives. Since I have grown up my whole life with technology, I cannot imagine living a life without cell phones, laptops, or tv's with thousands of channels. I think that all of these devices make the freedom of choice easier because I can easily find out almost anything I want with a few clicks of a button. I think that your most interesting point was the positive of donating to third-world countries. Technology has made it easier to do this through the internet. We can even donate through texting, which people do every day. This gives people an incentive to donate because it is so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the internet is great and the information we receive from it is endless, but I have grown to dislike my own dependency on the internet and my cell phone. Lately when my computer or cell phones die I actually enjoy the disconnect I have had with the virtual world. Our connections to these technologies are almost ridiculous, and the fact that every time we go out on the weekend we always have that iphone or smart phone in our pockets severely takes away from our interactions with other people. Things seem to have become overly important and people are hyper conscious of the world around them. Why do we need to know the score of the football game at all times or what every single one of our friends is doing that night? I think we are missing the experiences of actually interacting with each other because of this technology, and instead of texting my friend and asking what his weekend was like I'd rather see them and hold a conversation discussing whats been going on and having a legitimate interaction with another person.

    ReplyDelete