Friday, September 14, 2012

The Best of All Possible Worlds?

Have you ever had one of those surreal sort of moments where you suddenly have no idea who--or more significantly, what--you even are? One minute, you're innocently considering something as mundane as whether it's time to pluck your eyebrows because they're getting pretty unruly and maybe you-- then BAM. Who is this creature staring back at you in the mirror? Is that really you? And who is this voice wondering this in your head? Is this your soul talking? Your brain? All of a sudden, you're suffering a crisis of human consciousness: you feel absolutely disconnected from your body, from the world. You're trapped inside this weird fleshy shell and you're absolutely alone and is it any of this real anyway?

 I've had one of these experiences several times over the course of my life, but generally after a minute and a half or so of absolute bewilderment at my being, the feeling passes and I'm a normal person again. However, it seems that RenĂ© Descartes had one of these episodes, and rather than letting it go, felt compelled to write Meditations on First Philosophy, in which he navigates the quandary of our existence.

For Descartes, the key to knowing anything is to first doubt absolutely everything. The way we know that we do, indeed, exist, is by having little mental meltdowns like the one described above--it is simply by wondering what we are that we find the truth: "I am a thing that thinks" (33).  The argument that particularly perplexes me, however, is found in his fourth meditation, when he considers the ability of a perfect God to create imperfection. While indeed I and Descartes both wonder why God would make humans so flawed if he is all-powerful, Descartes suggests that perhaps that despite the seeming imperfection of each of us as individuals,  we could be "very perfect when considered as constituting a part of this whole universe" (53). This calls to mind the ideas of Pangloss in Voltaire's Candide: that we live in the "best of all possible worlds." Though each of us is undeniably far from perfect, when taken as a whole, are we fulfilling a larger purpose of perfection? Is the world exactly as it should be?  . Are our short-comings carefully crafted to create an ultimately flawless long-run?  Though Voltaire seemed to mock these ideas, Descartes, I think, would find some merit in Pangloss's optimism. Then again, Voltaire also thought that one could only know what one perceived through the senses, so he and Descartes would have likely disagreed on a lot of things. But the significance is not, perhaps, in whether Descartes or Voltaire is  right about the nature of the universe--but simply that they considered their place in the universe at all. Perhaps to ask these questions was their finite purpose in the infinite world order.

Is that what we are? A cog in an infinite system? Is that why we think? Are we given these abstract constructions of reality by God himself? Like Descartes, I feel compelled to ask these questions but unlike him, I feel no such authority in answering them. All I know is that I am--and frankly, even that seems debatable at this point.



3 comments:

  1. God created imperfection because it made sense. I mean think of it this way, if he would have made everyone perfect, what would be the point of life? When you are perfect what are your goals, to be more perfect? In my opinion, being perfect would be boring and meaningless. I agree with Descartes’ theory that we are perfect as a whole, fulfilling the goal of perfection. Each imperfect person is constantly setting off a chain of cause and effect events. These cause and effect events may be small or large, affecting a small number of people or people all over the world. My first question is whether or not we are actually going forward in reaching the goal or going backwards? My second question is how much control do we have over our cause and effect events? If God has a strategic plan that he wants his imperfect creations to fulfill, how does he ensure that it is followed? Perhaps like a great planner, he has a back-up plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when i first read this because of the honesty in this post, but at the same time the message still hit home. I find myself looking into the mirror as well, and I find myself confused about who I am. I like to believe it is due to the fact that our minds conjure up an image of what we believe we look like and when we look in the mirror, which is way less often for guys, we are surprised by what we actually look like. I also really like this "Candide" reference because now that you mention it, I see many similarities in values between Pangloss and Descartes. However, comparing what we are to what we think we are is mindless, because as far as I am concerned, we are what we think we are. If I am reaffirmed by my thoughts which prove to be "clear and distinct," then it would be close to impossible for somebody to convince me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have had one of the moments you speak of (why is it always with mirrors?) I'm not sure that is what happened with Descartes. Arguments are difficult because there are always hidden assumptions within them that people can contest. Descartes attempts to construct an argument in its completeness by starting with nothing assumed. He starts with nothing in existence.
    I would agree with Asia in that according to most believers in God, everything is planned out (including our questioning the plan). God has foreseen how humans will be imperfect. That has always been my question of free will (if God sees everything and plans everything, how do we have free will?)

    ReplyDelete