Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Mind vs. The Brain




            The mind-body problem is a very prominent philosophical issue that has puzzled many great minds. This problem arises because of contrasting characteristics of the mind and body. Some hold that the two are distinct while others believe they are one in the same. Cartesian dualism is the idea that there exists some metaphysical quality of the mind that distinguishes it from the physical brain. The mind is associated with humankind’s consciousness and our ability to be aware.
For Descartes, the mind and the body (or brain) are different substances, one material and one mental. The mind, the mental substance, accounts for thought and modes of thought such as emotions and desires. The body, the material substance, is responsible for the physical nature of the world. The body gives the mind signals while the mind commands the body. It is argued that because the mind is non-physical it cannot possibly affect the physical body. (http://www.blutner.de/philom/mindbody/Mind_body_dualism.pdf)
                I disagree with the theory of Cartesian Dualism and believe that the mind and body are both physical. In class, we argued at length about the presence of some non-physical aspect of the mind that makes humans unique. Many stated that if there was not a metaphysical mind then we could theoretically determine every action and reaction a certain person would make. If the consciousness was entirely reducible to the brain, then do we really have freedom? I believe that the consciousness is entirely reducible to the brain and that humans still possess free will. I do not believe the ‘what if’ argument that we will someday achieve the technology to map an entire brain to be valid. I believe the physical human brain to be so complex and intricate that we will never be able to know exactly what one person will do during their lifespan. For me, this complexity is the “metaphysical” mind. We then discussed the possibility that if the mind is purely physical, then could it be replicated with artificial intelligence. Again, I believe the mind, which evolved over millions and millions of years, to be too intricate to be replicated. Even though I do not believe in a non-physical mind, I do think there is some quality that we just cannot replicate. I find it very hard to explain myself and had trouble with this idea during the discussion today. The best example for me would be autistic people capable of memorizing everything they read or learning how to perform an instrument perfectly by sound. These amazing instances are evidence that our brain is capable of so much more than we know.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree with your statement that the mind is physical. I don't know...maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by this. However, I don't think that the mind can be physical . The mind is not an organ itself, but the brain is. If you mean that the mind is physical in the sense that it is continuously active, I would agree. Otherwise, my opinion differs. I think that the mind is an extension of the brain. I think that the brain could exist without the mind, but the mind could not exist without the brain. The brain is the physical organ that contains the mind and consciousness. Thus, the mind and brain are two different entities.

    ReplyDelete