Friday, September 7, 2012

Works of Faith


           In my opinion, action on the behalf of one’s faith is one of the greatest qualities of humanity today. If faith does in fact exist, acting on it is almost divine. I believe it is that action that defines one’s faith. Ironically, the exact qualities of faith are still an enigma to me. In simpler terms; I can recognize a work of faith when I see it but it is still difficult to define. What gives us the ability to trust in something beyond our own understanding? Why are we then forced to act on our faith? Is faith derived from some social context or is it all psychological? Do we mistake faith for something else? It certainly cannot be conditioned like other behaviors or else it would not be faith.
            Last week our class tried to define morals and virtue in the name of a better understanding of Machiavelli. I know it sounds pretty corny, but faith is fundamentally impossible to define. I believe this is why Luther faced some harsh criticism from the Church in his time. Faith is not a singular belief nor is it some social construct or mental misconstruction. It is too easy to rationalize something in terms of another article already understood.  To do so would detract from its significance. I therefore think that we should not try to define it as singular belief but instead recognize the works from faith.
            I believe we act on our faith because not to do so would destroy or fundamentally alter the faith that you have. So in that way, I fundamentally disagree with Luther. One cannot be a Christian and not be defined by their works, the two are connected fundamentally. You are a Christian through your works of faith. I am not saying that you cannot sin, but if you have the ability to recognize a situation in which your faith calls you to act, you are obliged to act.
            In this way, there are good and bad Christians. I understand the counter argument during our discussion in how there are good and bad people who happen to be Christian.  Yet with my non-definition of faith, I believe there are some circumstances under which there are indeed good and bad Christians. The good are those who both believe and act on their faith, while the bad only act part of the time. I realize I lack concrete proof, but it is really difficult to put faith in a pressure cooker and expect some indisputable answer.
            In closing, the recognition of faith is the best we can do to understand it and we can only recognize it through its works.

3 comments:

  1. You do seem to agree with luther that faith can be recognized by works. One who doesn't do good works can't be a Christian. However you don't agree if faith is sufficient to save, but only works can make faith stable. So you don't completely disagree with Luther, just partially.

    I also want to point out, your idea with faith is rather "romantic". As the romantics don't define love and say it's impossible to define. This is rather a messy method. If we don't know what it is that we want, we have no choice but rely on chance or luck to get it. Is faith something a Christian wants to risk not getting? Clearly no; because no faith means no salvation.

    You said works will secure faith, and you must agree that work alone does not lead to faith, as an atheist humanist can do all the good works a Christian would do but not have faith. If you know what it is that one needs to do to get this faith, then you can define faith as the thing/psychological condition you get when you do this, this and that. Then faith is defined as long as doing this, this and that is sufficient condition for one to have faith.

    p.s. sorry it's not my turn to comment but I couldn't hold this in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will concede that my definition of faith is extremely romantic. I wanted to say that faith is not recognized by works but is connected with works. The two exist together. Works do not secure faith but instead are in a way a form of faith.

    Can an atheist not have faith? Faith is hard to define. Atheism is the rejection of a god or gods, this does not mean that one cannot have faith. One could have faith in someone or something. Could he/she not? I believe it is very possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word "faith" I'm using is meant for faith in a Christian God's existence and His influence on human lives in ways elucidated by certain denominations of Christianity. It's not just any faith such as faith in the existence of oneself or of a table. I did not meant the Christian faith as the trust of someone being loyal to their promises either. Sorry I didn't make that clear...

    ReplyDelete