Friday, September 14, 2012

What do we understand about God and the human soul?


Descartes presented a few viewpoints related to humans and the human mind and soul.  His ideas were pretty interesting to me and I thought about how they relate to the way that I think. One of the things
he says is that everything that we know about God is demonstrated through reasoning.  This makes sense to me.  God is a very complex figure or spirit that no one will ever be able to understand. For example  I think that as humans we do understand God through the things that happen to us.  Sometimes when we go through experiences, we don't really understand what is happening or why. However, when that phase of our life is over and we take some time to reflect, we can understand God a little bit more.  He put experiences in our life for a reason and we can learn knew things.

Furthermore, he addresses how the human soul separate from the body.  I interpreted his ideas to mean that the soul is something that is intangible and lives on forever even after the body has perished. I  think that the soul is the spirit and the essence of a man.  It is something that cannot necessary be described.  I think that it is separate from the body, but I do think that it is connected to the mind and a man's thoughts. I think that this is true because when a man perishes, he leaves behind a legacy.  In my opinion that legacy is a part of why the soul exists after the man is dead.  The legacy is influenced by his actions while he is on earth, whether they are good or bad. Man may or may not know this when he is alive.

Lastly, Descartes addresses how nothing can be reduced to nothingness without God.  God is basically the master of everything.  He extinguishes life when it is time. He is like an artist or an inventor who brings things to existence.  No other force or spirit is capable of doing this.  Also, as humans, we cannot control how things happen.  We die in different ways and at different times.  God determines the end and beginning for everything on earth and we just have to accept this. We have to make sure that our life on earth is fulfilling while we still exist.






1 comment: